Welcome to Crafts Around the World.
This blog is hosted by www.SweetestCharms.Com dedicated to aspiring crafters, work at home moms, entrepeneur, infopreneur, internetpreneurs. A secret place to learn how to sell your crafts online.
"Great treasures are meant to be found. After all, it's the hidden ones that are the most worthwhile discovery one might find in his/her lifetime." - Lin
"Great treasures are meant to be found. After all, it's the hidden ones that are the most worthwhile discovery one might find in his/her lifetime." - Lin
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
It's Dinner Time - Chimes!

http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif
Website: http://dinnertimechimes.etsy.com
Blog: http://nctriangle.blogspot.com
Products: Windchimes made from silverware, other creations from silverware, Bird houses from boots and cooking pots
Country/Location: Clinton, North Carolina, USA
Can you tell us something about yourself?
I'm Erin and with the help of my husband (Gavin), we create these usual recycled crafts.
What are your goals for your crafting?
I craft to stay busy. I love to make things and crafting allows me to make something and then share it with someone who loves my creations.
Where do you find the inspiration for your designs?
Flea markets are the best source for the materials that I use in my crafts. I love spotting something on a table and thinking about what I could make out of it!
Describe your daily routine.
In the mornings I check my email and package up any sold items. Then I go to work, which only means shifting over to my work laptop since I'm lucky enough to work from home. I cook lunch for myself, and finsh working for the day by 4 o'clock. My husband comes home from his job shortly thereafter. We then either work in the yard and garden or head over to the house we recently purchased to continue on our remodeling projects before cooking supper. If there's anytime left over in the day, I'll work a little on a craft (I usually spend the weekends crafting)
How long have you been crafting?
For as long as I can remember! I've been making these windchimes for over 10 years now (I started back in high school), but before that I was busy learning sewing and baking from my grandmother. I also used to love to work on miniature houses--that hobby had to come to an end since I can't bring myself to sell them and there's only so many places that you can display 3-story doll houses!
Are you a full time or part time crafter?
I'm just a part-time crafter, but dream of the days when it might be possible to retire and craft all the time!
What made you decide to focus on your crafting and make it a business?
When I started making the windchimes again after getting married in 2006, the interest was growing and I knew that the profits were quickly going to be over what the state considered a "hobby," so I went ahead and completed the paper work to become an actual business. It's a neat feeling to know that you're the president of your own business!
How do you market or promote your items and where can we see it?
I rely heavily on free online advertising, and it's worked great thus far. Word of mouth is by far the best method for my shop. When you see a picture of one of our windchimes, it's hard to imagine that the forks and spoons hanging below it actually make a lovely sound (which is why I recorded a couple chimes and added that sound to my personal website)
Etsy shop: http://dinnertimechimes.etsy.com
Personal web-site (hear the windchimes): http://hometown.aol.com/dinnertimechimes/main.html
Windchimes available locally: Just Plain Country Store in Walnut Cove, NC http://www.justplaincountrystore.com/ and Buffalo Creek Farm in Germanton, NC http://hometown.aol.com/buffalocreekfarm/main.html
What can you say about your choice of work?
It's an unusual craft and I know that it's not for everyone, but I really enjoy seeing the smiles of people of all ages when they look at all of our creations!
What can you tell your other fellow crafters?
Crafting is only worth it if you enjoy it. When it gets to be too much like a job, you've got to make some changes. Grandma always said "a watched pot, never boils" and the same is true if you're waiting impatiently for an item to sell!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
thanks for featuring us!
sure :) your items are wonderful!
Post a Comment