Welcome to Crafts Around the World.
This blog is hosted by www.SweetestCharms.Com dedicated to aspiring crafters, work at home moms, entrepeneur, infopreneur, internetpreneurs. A secret place to learn how to sell your crafts online.
"Great treasures are meant to be found. After all, it's the hidden ones that are the most worthwhile discovery one might find in his/her lifetime." - Lin
"Great treasures are meant to be found. After all, it's the hidden ones that are the most worthwhile discovery one might find in his/her lifetime." - Lin
Saturday, June 20, 2009
On Metal Jewelries :)

Website: http://bddesigns.etsy.com
Blog: none yet
Products: Hand Fabricated Jewelry (Metalsmith)
Country/Location: Monclova, Ohio USA
Can you tell us something about yourself? I'm a wife, mother and metalsmith. I "live" in my studio every spare moment while I'm not taking care of the kids - 12 hours a week my kids are in school, so that is my SOLID work time! I live in the middle of the woods - full of textural inspiration - and I love my life!
What are your goals for your crafting? To keep growing and changing and honing my craft, as well as help others who want to learn about metalsmithing
Where do you find the inspiration for your designs? Nature mostly. I love shapes, texture, WORDS (former English major in college - so I love words by default!!)
Describe your daily routine. Get the kids off to school with lunches in hand, check computer for messages orders and the like while drinking my first cup of hot tea (of English descent), get dressed into my *glamourous* jewelry crafting clothes (most people don't know that metalsmithing is one of the dirtiest jobs imaginable!!!!!), work for 4 hours until I have to pick up my son from preschool, be a mommy all afternoon - putting him to bed, getting ready for dinner, cleaning up the house, etc., dinner with my family, cleanup, homework, etc., put kids to bed around 8PM and then I'm back to work until 1AM. Get up, do it all over again! Ü
How long have you been crafting? my whole life - mom is an artist, dad is a hobby architect/builder, came from a LONG diy history, grandparents used to sit and craft with us for HOURS on end....it's in the blood, history, family....
Are you a full time or part time crafter? full time - this is my JOB that keeps my kids in school, my truck payment on time and some of our future (small, meager) retirement.....such as it will be when we're 90 and we can retire! Ü
What made you decide to focus on your crafting and make it a business? by default - my husband and I firmly believe in one parent staying home to raise the children. As he was the one to finish his college degree, he also got the job. I stayed home and "played"...until one thing led to another and I started selling my work. When my 2nd child came along and the economy tightened, I tightened my belt and began actively pursuing selling my work so I could stay home with him until he went to school....and here I am 4 years later and he will be in Kindergarten next year and I'll still be "home" working!!!
How do you market or promote your items and where can we see it? Etsy is my predominant selling site - I don't have time to run another site on top of Etsy. However, there are several shops and sites around the world that carry my work, but THEY do all the computer work (I really don't like the computer all that much!!). I also do several local ART shows every year and people know to come see my latest work there.
What can you say about your choice of work? I don't know how or when I'd ever do anything else. Metalsmithing is all-consuming, challenging (I get bored very easily!), FUN, messy (which fits my personality!), and there aren't limitations - the sky is the limit when it comes to fire and metal! It is the hardest most rewarding job besides being a Mom! It's a lot like being a Mom, actually! You are totally exhausted most times, but to see your little creation sitting there, gleaming in the sunlight, knowing that someone will take it home with them and cherish it.....you beam!!!
What can you tell your other fellow crafters? Keep at it. Find something you love, just for the LOVE of it, not because it may or may not make you money (althought that's helpful in today's economy)....be original and find your niche and then hone your craft to make it better and better. If you invest in your craft, it will likely come back as an investment!!! In more than just monetary ways!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Beautiful jewelry! Thank you for sharing!
Thanks for reading :)
Post a Comment